Monday, August 24, 2009

Peanuts, Get your Peanuts!!


Before my husband and I had children, we decided as a couple, that when the time was right, we would teach our children the correct name for the female/male anatomy. We hadn't really thought about it as my daughter lived her 4 1/2 years of life--the topic really never came up-- "bottom" sufficed as an adequate all-around term.

But, about a week ago, there was a little confusion in her vocalizing clearly what she wanted to say. So, I took the time to introduce her to the proper name for the female anatomy--opening up a whole can of worms. "Well, then what does my brother have...?" So, I told her, and then decided, that even though Jaxen was only 2 1/2 he should also be told within the next couple of days. Because, in my mind I thought it better to come from mom or dad than to come from Big Sister.

The timing could not have been more perfect--as Jaxen came running down from upstairs, stark naked and giggling. He was running, jumping, and having a "free" time. I decided, to take him aside, and ask him if he knew what "it" was--to which he replied-- "my butt," with a devilish look in his eye. I gently told him that no, that wasn't correct, but it was called a, "penis."

His eyes lit up with this new knowledge--it was almost like seeing Helen Keller discover that water was called water, in the old movie-- I was witnessing a life-changing discovery. Jaxen spun around, smiling and continued the jumping and dancing--singing "peanuts, peanuts...peanuts, peanuts.." I giggled to myself, not bothering to correct him--because afterall, it was close enough--

As I thought about it more, I realized that I would have some heavy explaining to do at his first baseball game, when the peanut boy comes around!

No comments: