Sunday, March 14, 2010

The mother of a B-O-Y

Being a mother of a first-born daughter, I didn't realize how very different it would be to raise a boy.  I never thought I would have to say for the 50th time that day, "please, put your clothes back on!" 
Other things, I thought I would never be saying are:
"hands don't go in your underpants."
"you cannot bake with mommy, while you are naked." 
"Where are your underwear?"
"Please put that away."
"You can't answer the door without clothes on."
"Where have these salad tongs been...?"

Okay, I will let you figure out what our son has discovered in the last few weeks......waiting....(light bulb comes on)....okay...now, I will continue.

I never, in my wildest dreams, could have even scratched the surface of what to expect with raising a boy.  I tell my stories to those around me, with sons--and they just shake their heads...uh, huh....they've been there, done that.

So, if they have all been there and done that--where was my warning?  Where was my copy of  "What to expect, when Raising Boys" ?? 

I am so glad, I am for the most part a calm mother- because I barely flinched when our darling son figured out his "peanuts" can be different sizes-- Sure, I asked myself how this could possibly happen to a newly 3 year old...and I giggled under my breath as he breathed a sigh of relief when it was back to its "widdle" size.

Nor, do I flinch as he often peeks inside to gauge its status.  I do feel bad that he is stuck home with a sister and a mother--during this time of self-discovery.  And, I am seeing a pattern of him, finding humor in his anatomy and the reactions he gets --ahh....boys!

How can this girly, mother raise a boy in this tender time of boyhood?  I have no idea, but I will stumble through-- and I will do my best- and pray that by school-time he is more interested in a pencil and paper than his, "peanuts."

(Jaxen, my dear son...when you read this one day- whether I am here or not-- please know that I love you more than you will ever know.  You are my sunshine, and I cannot imagine life without you.  You have challenged me in the best of ways, and I look forward to every single day with you, as you teach me about motherhood and life.  I love you, Jaxen)

No comments: